Jul 18, 2024  
2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog 
2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog

Financial Aid and Scholarships


The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships makes every effort to assure that no qualified student will be denied the opportunity to attend because of a lack of funds. Financial aid is funds awarded to assist students in covering their educational expenses without regard to a student’s race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, gender, or disability. The University provides financial aid for students from four basic sources: grants, scholarships, loans, and employment.

The University student aid funds are administered in conjunction with a nationally established policy and philosophy of financial aid for education. The basis of this philosophy is the belief that parents are the primary and responsible resource for helping to meet educational costs, and financial aid is available for filling the gap between the student’s resources and expenses. Our office understands funding your education is a significant financial investment for you and your family. The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships is available to assist you in providing options to secure funding to attend the University.

The amount of the contribution expected from parents is related to consideration of a family’s net income, number in household, number in college and other financial information. The federal methodology is used to determine the student’s and parents’ expected family contribution (EFC). In order to be considered for federal, state and some institutional and private assistance, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students are encouraged to apply online by the priority date of December 1st each year at studentaid.gov

The University utilizes the “packaging concept” for financial aid. Students who apply early with great need may expect assistance through a variety of sources, which may include loans, employment, scholarship and/or grants.

Typical Sources of Financial Aid

Federal Pell Grant
Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
Federal Work-Study Program
State Tuition Grant (Need Based)
Campus Based Grant
Federal Direct Student Loans
Federal Direct Parent Loans to Undergraduate Students (PLUS)

Detailed information pertaining to federal and state programs may be found on the web at https://www.ncat.edu/admissions/financial-aid/types-of-aid/index.php.

The University offers several types of Departmental and Institutional Scholarships. The majority of these scholarships are administered within the academic and athletic departments. Students interested in these scholarships should contact the academic departments or respective athletic coach.

A student seeking consideration for financial assistance must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid to the Federal processor. We encourage you and your parent to use the IRS Data Retrieval option when completing the FAFSA. You should submit copies of income information or other documents, if requested.

A student who completes the Free Application for Federal Student Aid will be considered for all financial assistance at the University for which he/she is eligible provided funding is available. Students attending summer sessions must have a completed FAFSA for the respective year on file and complete the verification process.

An award will not be made until a student has been admitted to the University. Therefore, it is important that the admission process be completed as soon as possible. Any student who is admitted to the University as a “Special or Non-Degree” student is not eligible to receive financial assistance unless he/she is working on completing “Teacher Certification.”

Graduate Students. A graduate student who applies for financial aid may be considered for loan assistance and Federal Work Study through the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships. Information about graduate assistantships and fellowships may be obtained from the Graduate College Office or the academic department. To be considered and remain eligible for federal financial assistance, a graduate student must be admitted into a degree seeking program and maintain a 3.0 or higher cumulative grade point average and earn at least 67% of total attempted courses.

Information about Other Financial Aid Programs

A student is encouraged to apply for sources external to the University. Any award from an external source must be reported to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships and is included as a part of the student’s financial aid package. A student may be eligible for assistance from the following programs:

  1. The University of North Carolina Need Based Grant. Grant funding is available to North Carolina residents who enroll at least half-time at one of the 16 campuses of the University of North Carolina system. The award amount varies. Eligibility is based on a calculation of need, using income data from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
  2. North Carolina Education Lottery Scholarship (NCELS). Grant funds available to North Carolina residents who enroll at least half-time as an undergaduate student. The award amount varies. Eligibility is based on data calculated from the FAFSA.
  3. Vocational Rehabilitation. Grants may be provided to students who have a mental or physical disability which is an impediment to employment. The amount of the grant is based on financial need and the type of program in which the student is enrolled. North Carolina students should contact the Vocational Rehabilitation Office nearest the student’s home or the North Carolina Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services in Raleigh, NC.
  4. North Carolina Veterans’ Scholarship. A four-year scholarship at an approved school may be awarded to children of certain class or category of deceased, disabled, combat or POW/MIA veterans. The veteran was a legal resident of North Carolina at the time of entry into the armed forces or the child must have been born and resided in North Carolina continuously since birth. Interested students should contact the North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs in Raleigh, NC.
  5. Rehabilitation Assistance for Visually Handicapped. Grants may be provided to full-time North Carolina residents who are blind or visually impaired. Students must attend a North Carolina post-secondary institution. The amount of assistance is based on need. Interested students should contact the Chief of Rehabilitation Services, Division of Services for the Blind in Raleigh, NC.
  6. ROTC Scholarships. Air Force ROTC and Army ROTC scholarships are available on a competitive, merit basis to interested students. Interested students should contact the ROTC Offices on campus.
  7. The Quiester Craig Scholarship Fund. An anonymous benefactor endowed this fund to provide academic scholarships for students majoring in Accounting. Named in honor of the School of Business and Economics’ past Dean, Dr. Quiester Craig, the recipients are determined by the Dean of the School of Business and Economics in consultation with the Chairman of the Accounting Department.
  8. Sigmund Sternberger Scholarships. Sigmund Sternberger scholarships are available to assist full-time undergraduate Guilford County students attending the University.
  9. The C.M. and M.D. Suther Scholarship Program. This award is available to a full-time North Carolina resident undergraduates with a demonstrated financial need. The scholarship can be made either to a freshman who graduated in the top 25% of his/her high school graduating class or to an upper-class student with an academic average of at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average. Only one award is made each year and is nonrenewable. The Director of Student Financial Aid chooses the recipient.
  10. Dr. A.P. and Frances Dickson Scholarships. The A.P. Dickson scholarship is awarded annually to a full-time undergraduate student who currently resides in Hoke County, North Carolina. The Director of Student Financial Aid chooses the recipient on the basis of academic standing and financial need. The award may be renewed and vary in amount according to income available from the Trust.
  11. James Lee Love Scholarship. The James Lee Love Scholarship is awarded annually to a full-time North Carolina resident undergraduate student. The recipient is selected by the Director of Student Financial Aid on the basis of academic standing and financial need. Awards are nonrenewable and vary in amount according to income available from the Trust.
  12. North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State National Alumni Scholarship. The National Alumni Scholarship recognizes exceptional academic talent and ability. This scholarship program is a legacy of the former national alumni association and the objective is to carry on the mission of attracting quality students. This award covers full tuition, related fees, room, and board. It is renewable for four (4) years as long as the student meets the yearly requirements. National Alumni Scholarship criteria:
    • Be a United States citizen who has graduated or will graduate from an accredited high school prior to the fall semester of the year for which the selection is made.
    • Meet the requirements for admission to N.C. A&T State University. Must apply to the university prior to the application deadline.
    • Minimum 3.75 GPA or better on a 4.0 scale.
    • ACT and SAT score are optional for the 2022-2023 year.
    • Include two typed and signed letters of recommendation/evaluation letters on letterhead. These should include:
      1. One letter from school (faculty or administrator).
      2. One letter from a community organization (i.e. faith-based; civic; Boy/Girl Scouts; Boys & Girls Club; Jack-N-Jill; pageants/cotillions; etc.).
      3. Do not include relatives.
      4. Compete recorded interview questions.
  13. UNC Campus Scholarship. The UNC Campus Scholarship is intended to provide assistance to a diverse group of students at N.C. A&T State University. This scholarship is used to attract an academically prepared group of students, recruit a diverse group of students to the university and to retain current students. This scholarship will be used after all other need-based aid for which the student is also eligible has been included in the student’s financial aid package. Some of the funds will be used for merit and retention not considering need. The total scholarship award under the program shall carry a maximum value not to exceed $6,000.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

The Higher Education Amendment Act of 1965, as amended, mandates institutions of higher education to establish a minimum standard of “Satisfactory Academic Progress” for students receiving federal financial aid. North Carolina A&T State University makes its standard applicable to all federal, state and some institutional funds. The satisfactory academic progress policy applies to all terms regardless of whether financial aid was received. Satisfactory academic progress will be evaluated for all students (full or part-time) annually (at the end of each spring semester). Students re-admitted under the “three year rule” must also meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards to receive financial aid.

Undergraduate SAP Requirements

To ensure Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) students must meet all of the following standards:

  • Minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) - 2.0 cumulative grade point average (gpa)
  • Minimum completion standard for attempted credit hours - must earn 67% of attempted hours
  • Maximum time frame for degree completion must not exceed 150% of attempted hours

Graduate and Doctoral SAP Requirements

All graduate and doctoral students must maintain the following minimum requirements to be in compliance with SAP:

  • Must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher
  • Must earn 67% of attempted hours
  • Must not exceed 150% of hours required for degree completion

Completion Standard for Attempted Credit Hours

Students who receive financial aid must successfully complete a minimum of 67% of all attempted hours. If the number of completed hours drops below 67%, the student will no longer be eligible for financial aid. Attempted hours include all hours attempted at the University and transfer hours, whether or not the student earns a grade or receives credit. Successful completion of a course means that the students must obtain a grade of A, B, C or D excluding a grade of D for a graduate or doctoral student). Courses with grades of F, I, U and W will not qualify in meeting the minimum standard.

The successful completion of a course for a Graduate or Doctoral student is defined as an A, B, P and IP.

To calculate 67%, multiply the total number of attempted hours by .67 (rounded downward to the nearest whole number). As an example if a student attempts (registered for) 30 credit hours in an academic year, he or she must complete a minimum of 20 credit hours (30 x .67 = 20) in order to ensure SAP for the year with a 2.0 cumulative grade point average.

Maximum Time Frame

The number of credit hours a student attempts may not exceed 150% of the number of credit hours required for graduation in his or her program of study, as published in the University Bulletin. If the published number of hours required for graduation is 120, a student may not attempt more than 180 credit hours (120 x 1.5 = 180) and continue to receive financial aid. All periods of enrollment must be considered, even those for which the student did not receive financial aid as well as hours transferred from another school. If the number of attempted hours reaches 150% of the hours required for graduation, the student will no longer be eligible for financial aid.

Second Degree

Students who have already earned a bachelor’s degree and are pursuing another undergraduate degree must submit a completed Second Degree Form. Second-degree students cannot exceed the aggregate loan limit for an undergraduate student. Second-degree students must maintain a 2.0 annually and pass 67% of the hours attempted.

Teacher Certification

Students must maintain a 2.8 GPA for admission into the EPP and matriculation each semester while in the EPP. They must also pass all classes (some with C or better), complete required field experience hours, successfully complete clinical internships (student teaching), and successfully complete all program requirements for licensure (e.g., licensure exams and currently edTPA).

Dual Degree/Double Major

Students must maintain progress in all degrees and as stated above. Students who are seeking a dual degree, must be maintaining SAP prior to declaring their dual/double degree and maintain a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (gpa).


A”W” grade which is recorded on the student’s transcript will be included as credits attempted and will have an adverse effect on the student’s ability to maintain satisfactory academic progress. Students who officially withdraw from the University must make up the deficit hours and are encouraged to attend summer school.

Incomplete (I) Grade

An incomplete grade indicates that a student has not finished all course-work required for a grade and is included in the cumulative credits attempted. An incomplete will count toward attempted hours but not as hours passed until a final grade is posted in the Registrar’s Office.

Repeated Courses

A student who has received a failing grade in a required course at this University must repeat and pass the course unless otherwise indicated. Students (undergraduate and graduate) may only receive federal financial aid for one repetition (repeat) of a previously passed course. Undergraduate students who have already passed a course with a grade of a D or better may only repeat the class one additional time and receive financial aid for that course. All repeated courses are included in the total attempted hours for SAP evaluation.

Change of Major

A student may change from one major to another during attendance at the University. Students who change from one major to another are still expected to maintain satisfactory academic progress and complete the course work within the time frame or hours limitation stated unless an appeal is approved. All attempted hours from a prior major are included in the total attempted hours.

Audited Courses

Courses audited do not count as either attempted or earned hours.

Hours Enrolled

The number of credit hours in which the student is enrolled on the day following the published last day to add/drop a class will be used as official enrollment for financial assistance purposes; full-time status is 12 or more hours. If a student withdraws from classes after the last day to add/drop a course, the minimum number of hours to be earned in one academic year may not be met.

Readmitted students will be reviewed on their previous academic records in order to determine eligibility for assistance, whether or not financial aid was received. Re-admitted students not maintaining SAP must submit a letter of appeal.

Students who have been placed on Academic Suspension or Dismissal from the University must meet the Satisfactory Academic Policy (SAP) once they are re-admitted. Re-admitted students are not automatically eligible for Financial Aid, if they do not meet the standard, they have an option to submit an appeal.

Financial Aid Termination

Students who are not meeting the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards are not eligible for further financial aid including Summer I, Summer II and Dual sessions unless the student was granted continuation from the spring semester and allowed a probationary period for the summer session. Students who are placed on probation for the summer may be eligible for financial assistance. Students will be notified by Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships of their financial aid termination at the end of the spring semester through a letter to their permanent home mailing address and to their University e-mail account.

Students whose financial aid is terminated must remove their academic deficiencies or have an appeal granted before their aid can be reinstated. Financial aid may be affected for students who withdraw from a class or classes after the add/drop period; receives all “F’s” for the semester; or receives a grade of “Incomplete”.

Conditions for Reinstatement

Students who are denied federal and/or state financial aid for failure to meet the SAP standards are advised by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships of their right to appeal the decision. Students may appeal in writing to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships if they had extenuating circumstance(s) that led to their unsatisfactory academic progress. The student will be notified via email to their NCAT email of the decision. If the student is not satisfied with the decision, then the final option is to appeal to the Financial Aid Appeals Committee.

Any student whose financial aid has been terminated may reestablish satisfactory academic progress by any of the following methods:

  • Enroll in a course or courses for Summer I, Summer II and/or Dual Session.
  • Repeat courses in which a grade of F was earned.
  • Satisfy requirements for all incomplete grades.

Appeal Procedure

Students not meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress may appeal for consideration of financial aid. To appeal for the reinstatement of financial aid eligibility, students should complete and submit the Satisfactory Academic Progress appeal form to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships indicating the extenuating circumstance(s) (i.e. personal illness, injury, medical problems, undue hardship, death of parent or immediate family member, or other special circumstances) that may have prevented the student to perform at his/her academic best. Students must also submit an Academic Plan of Action from their academic department and complete the required financial literacy modules.

Students will be notified via email to their NCAT email of the appeal decision. If an appeal is approved, the student must sign a Satisfactory Academic Progress Action Plan with the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships. Students who are granted an appeal and do not meet the requirements are placed on financial aid suspension until satisfactory academic progress is achieved.
It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of his or her academic standing each semester. The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will make every effort to promptly notify students of the cancellation of the award and their academic standings.

Withdrawals, Repayments and Refunds

The Federal Higher Education Act (HEA) of 1965 was amended in 1998 and new regulations were established with regard to Title IV student financial aid programs. Students earn their Title IV federal financial aid by attending classes. When a student is not enrolled through 60% of the semester or term, the “unearned” portion of their aid must be returned to the federal programs.

If a student withdraws from the University prior to completing the 60% of the semester or term, the financial aid office recalculates eligibility of Title IV funds. Recalculation is based on the percentage of earned aid using the following Federal Return of Title IV funds formula:

  • Percentage of semester or term completed equal the number of days completed up to the withdrawal date divided by the total days in the semester or term.

The Withdrawal date is determined by the official date the student began the withdrawal process or notified the University of the Intent to withdraw.

  • Example: Student A withdraws from Fall semester on September 28. The semester began on August 16 and ends on December 10. There are 119 days in the semester. The student attended 44 days in the semester.
    • 44 days / 119 days = 37%
    • Therefore the student has completed 37% of the semester and a return of Title IV calculation must be completed.

If a student earned less aid than what was disbursed, the university would be required to return a portion of the funds and the student would be required to return a portion of the funds. When Title IV funds are returned, the student may owe a balance due to the University.

If a student earned more aid than was disbursed to him/her, the University would owe the student a post-withdrawal disbursement which must be paid within 120 days of the student’s withdrawal date.

Any unearned federal financial aid must be returned to program funds up to the amount of assistance the student has received from the program, in the priority order established by regulation: Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, Subsidized Stafford Loan, Plus Loan, Federal Pell Grant, Federal SEOG, and other Title IV programs.

Unofficial Withdrawals

If a student leaves the University without official notification, the university may establish a withdrawal date by using the midpoint of the semester or using the student’s last day of attendance as documented by an academically related activity.

If a student earns all F’s during a semester, it may be considered an unofficial withdrawal if the last date of attendance cannot be determined.